National Architecture Awards go on show
An exhibition of all winning entries to the 2009 National Architecture Awards has opened in Canberra, reaffirming the undiminished quality of work by both established and younger architects across Australia.
The Australian Gallery of Design (GAD) in Canberra is showcasing all winning works and hosting an opening night on Thursday 18 February, with many of the award winners expected to attend.
The awards are the country’s most prestigious annual architecture prizes. A total of 32 awards and commendations across 12 categories were awarded to projects in Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, the ACT, NSW, Western Australia, South Australia, the United Arab Emirates and the United States.
Jury Chair and award-winning architect Howard Tanner said: “2009 represented a strong year for architecture, with new benchmarks set in a number of key categories – such as commercial architecture. In public architecture, educational projects were also outstanding, with many Australian universities now comprehending the need for world class facilities to attract students.”
Opening night: National Architecture Awards on Exhibition
Where: Australian Gallery of Design (GAD), 44 Parkes Pl, Parkes ACT
When: Thursday 18 February 2010, 5.30pm – 8pm.
Media are invited to attend. For photo opportunities of the works, please contact GAD Gallery Manager Jas Hugonnet on 0417 235 916.
To view projects, by category, please follow the links:
- 2009 National Architecture Awards: winners
- 2009 National Architecture Award: jury overview
- 2009 National Architecture Award: jury citations
- 2009 National Architecture Awards: Sir Zelman Cowen Award for Public Buildings
- 2009 National Architecture Awards: Robin Boyd Award for Residential Architecture – winners state by state
- 2009 National Architecture Awards: Robin Boyd Award for Residential Buildings – winners 2009-1981
- 2009 National Architecture Awards: New York’s red steps glow gold for Aussie designers
- 2009 National Architecture Awards: our sponsors
The exhibition is being held thanks to Principal Corporate Partner BlueScope Steel.
Contact: Margot Paul National Media/PR Advisor email@example.com 0402 669 463
The Australian Institute of Architects is the peak body for the architectural profession, representing more than 9800 members across Australia and overseas. The Institute actively works to improve the quality of our built environment by promoting quality, responsible and sustainable design. Visit the Institute for more information – architecture.com.au